| Sister Emma Lynn Holdaway | Honduras San Pedro Sula East Mission | October 2013-May 2015 |

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Week #4--The Sound...of Pigs Dying!


Que pasa, mis amigos.

I went to the beach today!  We had to wake up at 3 AM to take some janky buses for a couple hours to a city called Trujillo.  There we met up with some more elders from our zone and partied at the beach all morning.  And by partied I mean we put our feet in the water because missionaries aren't allowed to swim.  But I did find some pretty shells!  And wrote my name in the sand.  And took some pictures that you guys won't be able to see because the Internet in Honduras is tow up.  I guess you guys will have to wait until I get home to see them.  Que basura.  

QUE BASURA.  That's basically my district's slogan.  Today we started saying "Que garbage" though.  Lol, I love teaching the Latinos English.  It's the funniest.  Latinos are the best.  The elders in my district are the best.  The mission is the best (for the most part).

On Monday I heard a pig die.  We were eating dinner and all of a sudden we hear this crazy squealing and I just look over at Hermana Odekirk and she was like, "Yup, you just heard a pig die."  And then we went out and watched it get gutted and stuff.  What a party.  And then Hermana Alejandro and I took a picture with the pig head.  So I'm basically going all "Lord of the Flies" over here in Olanchito.  I guess you guys will have to wait for that picture too.  DUDE AND I FOUND SOME CONCH SHELLS ON THE BEACH TODAY I AM LITERALLY LIVING LORD OF THE FLIES.  HOW COOL, HOW COOL.  Muy very cool.

And on Tuesday I made tamales!  So now I'm basically Mexican.  Except I'm in Honduras.  So I don't know how that works.  And I got a cow named after me.  So that's going on my resume for sure.  What an accomplishment.  

A couple days ago Hermana Alejandro and I were taking a taxi home.  There was another person in the back so I sat in the front, and Hermana Alejandro sat in the back with the other guy.  The taxi driver dropped the other guy off first and then us.  And when we were in our house, Hermana Alejandro was like, "Hermana."  So I turned around and she was holding up a plastic baggy with 6 bullets in it.  She was like, "The guy that we dropped off before us left these in the back of the taxi.  He could've killed six people with these."  And I'm like "WHAT THE HECK, HERMANA.  WHY DID YOU TAKE THE FREAKING BULLETS AHHHALSÑDKFJASÑLKFJASÑLDKF."  But yeah.  So we found some bullets in the back of a taxi and who knows what that guy was gonna do with them.  We're just gonna assume he was gonna kill some pigs or something.  But here they kill pigs by hitting them with a metal pole.  Very kind and humane.

All I want is a brownie or some chocolate chip cookies or a cinnamon roll or some pizza.  But alas, rice and beans and fried bananas.

"Keep Holding On" by Avril Lavigne has now become my theme song for life.  And I think that's an accurate description of my current emotional standing.  

Also crying in the shower just isn't the same when you shower with buckets.  But alas, I keep holding on.

ADIOS AMIGOS.

Hermana Holdaway

"Be patient in thine afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days."  D&C 24:8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...