| Sister Emma Lynn Holdaway | Honduras San Pedro Sula East Mission | October 2013-May 2015 |

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Week #13--Creo en Cristo

Casually Modeling the Book of Mormon

 The best District Leader, Elder Menchaca!  He's hilarious.

Elder Reyes es masiso.

 Selfie cause even though I live in Honduras I'm still a white girl at heart and taking selfies is just part of my genetic makeup.

  The Hermanas of Olanchito (cough, cough, the best hermanas in the mission)

 My hair is a different color in literally every picture, pero pregunatame cuanto me importa.


 Casually being adorable with Hermana Muñoz
 Hermana Odekirk, Elder Kesler, and I have all been in the mission for the same amount of time.  We were all born here in Olanchito!

Casually modeling in the streets of Olanchito.

  Missionaries are actually just a bunch of little kids.


Hey soul sisters.

I've been sitting here for practically the millenium trying to figure to how to start this email because this week was pretty boring and nothing really happened.

But anyway.

In Honduras, there are these little convenience stores called pulperias.  People usually just have them in the front room of their house, and you can go there to buy toilet paper, chips, or niños.*  Just little stuff like that.  And these pulperias are literally everywhere.  We have five or so just on our street. 

One day Hermana Muñoz and I were going around all these pulperias trying to find one that had tortillas.  We wanted tortillas cause we were hungry.  And we live in Honduras so we decided to embrace the culture and eat tortillas.  But I digress.  So we went to this one pulperia and this crazy woman was like, "NOPE YOU GUYS ARE MORMON.  YOU GUYS WORSHIP JOSEPH SMITH.  I DON'T WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE MORMONS.  BLAH, BLAH, BLAH."  And we were like "K, but do you have tortillas."  And she was like, "NO BLAH BLAH BLAH."  And we were like, "K."

So we left that pulperia cause ain't nobody got time for Mormon haters.

But since this particular pulperia is on our street, we walk by it basically every day.  And on Friday Hermana Muñoz was like, "Let's go sing 'I Believe in Christ' at the pulperia, hahahahahhahahahahhaha."  And I was like, "K, let's do it."  And she was like, "Wait no it was a joke I'm scared."  And I was like, "Nope we're doing it."  So we went to the Mormon-hating pulperia and were like, "Buenas!  Queremos cantar un himno por ustedes."  And we sang "Creo en Cristo."  And then I read the scripture in 2 Nephi 25:26 and was like, "We believe in Jesus Christ.  Have a nice day."  

Except I was all nice and happy and missionary while I was doing it cause #missionary.  But they don't want us to come back.  Their loss, right?

A guy came to mow our lawn this week.  And by mow our lawn I mean he brought his machete and chopped at the grass for a little while cause Honduras.

Also this week I had literally no clean clothes.  Because I don't like hand washing para nada.  And our neighbor has a washing machine so I just hollah at my neighbor when I need to wash my clothes.  So she washed my clothes for me the other day, and I hung them all up on the clothes line to dry and went back in to my house to read the scriptures because I'm really spiritual and stuff.  And then our neighbor was like, "Hermana Holdawayyyyyyyy, su ropaaaaaaaaaa."  So I went outside, and the clothes line had fallen and all my clothes were lying in the dirt and I was like, k.

Update on my study of The Book of Mormon:  I'm reading it in Spanish and I just got to the Isaiah chapters in 2 Nephi.  And Isaish is even harder in Spanish.  So if I die this week you guys will know why.  Well, I am in Honduras super close to the murder capital of the world, so I guess there's a possibility that I could die from being shot or something, but vamos a ver.

Hermana Odekirk, Hermana Calpa, Elder Passey, and Elder Real all had baptisms this week.  But none for Hermana Muñoz and Hermana Holdaway.  Wah, I want a baptism.  It's hard sometimes because I feel like I'm working really hard with my investigators but that it's not going anywhere.  Our purpose here as missionaries is to help people come to Christ through faith, repentance, and baptism.  And that's not happening for me.  I've been out here three months and haven't had a baptism yet.  And I know that I can't rush people into it, and people need their time, but still.  It's hard.  But I know with a positive attitude, more time, and the Lord, things will get better!  I'll have a baptism one day.  

I was talking about it with Hermana Muñoz the other day, and I said, "I just want one person to remember my name" (because converts always remember the names of the missionaries who baptized them and stuff like that).  Like that's all I want: one person, one baptism.  And Hermana Muñoz was like, "I'm going to remember your name."  And it was like, awwwwwwww, okay that was cute.  My cute, little companion.


"Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God; And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!"  - D&C 18: 10, 15


Until next week,

Hermana Holdaway

- PS:  I'm starting my 5th month in my mission.  What the heck, right?!?!?!?!  Time is going by super, duper, duper fast.
- PPS:  I want a brownie.
- PPPS:  To my non-Mormon fans:  If the Mormon missionaries ever come knocking on your door to share a message with you, listen to them.  Don't say no.  It's really hard when people slam the door in our faces and stuff like that.  People don't really do that here in Olanchito because everyone is super humble and loving, but rejection is hard.  Being on a mission is hard.  So listen to them out of compasion.  I'm not saying that you have to get baptized or anything like that, just listen to them and don't turn them away if they ever come knocking on your door.  Pinky promise?  Gracias.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...