| Sister Emma Lynn Holdaway | Honduras San Pedro Sula East Mission | October 2013-May 2015 |

Monday, August 11, 2014

Week #36--What Olanchito taught me

Hermana Calpa and I went to Olanchito!  One of Hermana Calpa's old investigators, got baptized, so we asked President Klein for permission to go.  

It was possibly the best day ever.

We woke up at 5 AM in order to catch the 6:30 bus to Olanchito.  It's about a three hour bus ride there from Ceiba, so we got to Olanchito around 9:30.  I was so nervous the whole way there, like the feeling that you get when you're the next in line to get on a rollercoaster.  I had butterflies in my stomach and everything, like, "OHMIGOSH I'm going to see my people again, I'm going to Olanchito, I'm going home."

But when we got off the bus and started walking down the streets of my dear, dear Olanchito, I couldn't have been happier.  I belong in Olanchito.  The people there are my people.  And I was so happy to be back.  

I started off the day visiting A, E, and R.  When E saw me in the street, she ran out to hug me and it was totally one of those slow motion movie moments.  We were all sitting there talking and everyone was like, "Hermana, we thought you were never coming back.  And now that you're here, we don't want you to leave."  And when we had to say goodbye everyone was crying and I practically couldn't breathe, but it's the most beautiful thing to be part of someone's life.  And goodbyes are hard, but it just means that you have someone special enough to miss.

After a full day of visiting and laughing and crying and remembering, I was emotionally exhausted.  But my day in Olanchito helped me learn who I really am.  It helped me realize that I have made a difference in the world.  Compared to people like Ghandi and Martin Luther King, maybe I'm nothing, but in the eyes of my people in Olanchito, I mean the world to them.  And they mean the world to me.  

We shouldn't compare ourselves to others.  Because we're all different.  God has a plan for each one of us, and we should be happy with what God has given us to do.  Maybe God hasn't sent us here to change the entire world, but he's sent us here to bless the life of someone, somewhere.  It's our job to find that person and give them our entire hearts.


Olanchito taught me that the worth of souls is great in the sight of the Lord.

Olanchito taught me that true happiness isn't found in money or power or a fancy house, but in the relationships that we have with others.

Olanchito taught me that Latinos are the coolest people ever and that rice and beans are actually really good.

Olanchito taught me that climbing mountains like Pacura actually really sucks.

Olanchito taught me Spanish, because let's be real, I didn't know anything when I left the MTC.

Olanchito taught me that unripe, fried bananas dipped in ketchup is one of the most delicious meals you will ever eat.

Olanchito taught me that God loves each one of us.

Olanchito helped me become who I really am.


I love my mission.  I'm so grateful for this opportunity that my Heavenly Father has given me to be here in Honduras for these 18 months.  Many say that what I'm doing is a sacrifice, but I know that it's nothing but a blessing.  That doesn't mean that everything is easy, but it does mean that it's worth it.

I know that this church is true.  I know that families can be together forever.  I know that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, and that he was called to be the prophet of the Restoration.  I know that The Book of Mormon is true.  I know that Jesus Christ lives and that He is my Savior.

Until next week,

Hermana Holdaway



Best friends

One of the best guys in all of Olanchito

Reunited with Hermana Urresta in Olanchito!  And we were both wearing yellow and we didn't even plan it.  We're still connected and we're not even companions anymore.  Hollah.

I went to visit S!  She's still wonderful as always.  I saw the chicken that she named after me.  She was like, "Are you going to take your chicken with you now, or are you going to wait until you finish your mission?"  And I'm like, "Tranquila, Hermana, I'm going to come back for my chicken, don't you even worry about it."  Then she's all like, "Okay, Hermana, I'm going to give you a box so that you can take in on the airplane."  Cheque.  Thanks.

My niños.  When I was saying goodbye to them, they were like, "Don't leave, Hermana Holdaway.   Awwwwwwwwwwww, I cried.  I love my niños.

Visiting

La Gringa

Casually waiting at a Honduran bus stop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...