| Sister Emma Lynn Holdaway | Honduras San Pedro Sula East Mission | October 2013-May 2015 |

Monday, August 11, 2014

Week #35--We must stop concentrating on our differences and look for what we have in common

"The adversary would have us be critical or judgmental of one another.  He wants us to concentrate on our differences and compare ourselves to one another.  You may love to exercise vigorously for an hour each day because it makes you feel so good, while I consider it to be a major athletic event if I walk up one flight of stairs instead of taking the elevator.  We can still be friends, can't we?"


One of the hardest things in life is learning to love ourselves.  We're always comparing ourselves with others, and more often than not, we're our hardest critics.  We don't have to look very hard in order to find someone who's smarter than us, someone with more money, or someone who's better looking.

In a world that so focused on our differences, it's easy to get caught up in the dangerous and destructive game of self-criticism.  Our self-confidence begins to decrease, and sometimes it completely disappears.

But that's not what our Heavenly Father wants.  He wants us to remember who we really are.  Because when we remember who we really are, everything changes: we walk with confidence, we love ourselves and others, and we'regenuinely happy.  We're God's children, and He loves us.  He wants to bless us.  And He wants us to return to live with Him someday.


Every person that you pass on the street is a child of God.  And every person has their story.  So please follow the advice of our dear President Uchtdorf:


"This topic of judging others could actually be taught in a two-word sermon.  When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm, please apply the following: STOP IT.

It's that simple.  We simply have to stop judging others and replace judgmental thoughts and feelings with a heart full of love for God and His children.  God is our Father.  We are His children.  We are all brothers and sisters."


I know that some of you who know me well are probably thinking to yourselves, "Emma, are you kidding me?  You're telling us not to judge people?  COUGH, COUGH... hypocrite..."

I know, I know, I know...

I'm not a perfect person.  But my mission has helped me overcome my faults and weaknesses.  Trust me, I'm still far from perfect, but every day I'm trying to be better than I was yesterday.  And I've changed.  I look at the world through different eyes now.  I've learned to really listen to people.  And it's the most beautiful thing.  There's nothing more amazing than listening to people's stories, or being a part of their lives.  People are beautiful.  Life is beautiful.  EVERYTHING'S BEAUTIFUL, LIKE WOW.  Yes, it's true that we all have our differences, but deep down, we're really all the same.

The people of Honduras, my investigators, my converts, the members, my companions, other missionaries, and every single person that I've talked to during these beautiful nine months of my life have changed me.  I'm now full of a love for my fellow human beings that I absolutely did not have before my mission.  And I'm the first to admit it.  Before my mission I was a close-minded, judgmental, white girl.  

And now...

I'm still a white girl...  

...WHO'S FRIENDS WITH ALL THE LATINOS BECAUSE LATINOS ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But for real, I just love everyone, okay.


​  But yup, that's enough mushy-gushy-missionary-preaching for one email...


NOW ONTO THE FUN THINGS.

I have some weird fungus growing in my ear.

So that's cool and casual and fun.

And also really gross.

Look, I know we shouldn't blame other people for our problems and stuff, but just this once I'm gonna go right ahead and point all my fingers at Honduras water.  Thanks, Honduras water!  You win this round.  

Honduras water: 1.  Hermana Holdaway's ear: 0.

But everyone just calm down because I'm taking pills and stuff to kill it so yeah.

 
Anddddddddd so yeah.

Also this drunk guy in the street asked us to pray for him and he was like, "Aren't you guys going to put your hands on my head and give me a blessing?"  And we were like, "Of course, you don't even have to ask us twice!"

Lol, just kidding.  Obviously we didn't put our hands on this man's head.  I was like, "No, hermano, we'll pray for you, but we don't have the authority to place our hands on your head and give you a blessing." 

BECAUSE AS WOMEN WE HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH THE ABILITY TO GIVE LIFE SO WE DON'T NEED THE PRIESTHOOD, OKAY. #reliefsocietyswag

It was just another casual week in Honduras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love always,

Hermana Holdaway

Family Home Evening with President Klein, Lina, and La Familia Carias (aka the family of one of my dad's companions from his mission)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...