| Sister Emma Lynn Holdaway | Honduras San Pedro Sula East Mission | October 2013-May 2015 |

Friday, July 25, 2014

Week 18--LDS Conference


We are as the Armies of Helaman

Yup!  I haven't changed really

After his baptism, I asked Alex what his favorite part was.  He answered, "The cake!"
All the missionaries with our future missionary, Alex!

Hermana Munoz, Alex and me.  We're the best of friends.

Alex and his family.  Normally, this little boy is running around completely naked and it's a rare site to see him clothed.  Oh Honduras!!



Hello, everyone!

This past general conference was one of the best conferences I've ever heard, second only to the conference of October 2012 when President Monson said these words that forever changed my life:

"As we have prayerfully pondered the age at which young men may begin their missionary service, we have also given consideration to the age at which a young woman might serve.  Today I am pleased to announce that able, worthy young women who have the desire to serve may be recommended for missionary service beginning at age 19, instead of 21."

Reading those words still gives me goosebumps.  I can't even begin to describe the change that has taken place in my life thanks to my mission.  While I've been here, I've learned who I really am: I'm a daughter of God.  While I've been here, I've learned who God is: He's my loving Heavenly Father who knows and loves me personally.  While I've been here, my testimony of Jesus Christ has grown and strengthened, and I know that He is my Savior and my Redeemer.  There's not a single doubt in my mind in relation to any of these things.  

But my firm testimony hasn't come to me overnight.  I wasn't born with it; I've worked for it.  I've read the scriptures, I've gone to church, and I've prayed to my Heavenly Father.  A testimony isn't something that comes for free.  Not to me, and not to any one of you.  I've worked for the knowledge that I now have, and you too should work to obtain your own knowledge.  I've worked to strengthen my faith in Jesus Christ, and you should too.  After all, this is our purpose.  This is why we're here.  And as a result of my efforts, I can now stand as a witness of Christ in all times, and in all things, and in all places.  I'm not afraid to stand alone.  Though the world may mock and laugh and judge, I can't be shaken from what I know to be true.  And I know these things to be true: that The Book of Mormon is the word of God, that Joseph Smith was called to be the prophet of this last dispensation, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church of Jesus Christ.

Now I'd like to talk a little bit about my conference experience this past weekend:  

I've been looking forward to general conference for quite some time now.  And I got to listen to it in English!  I love Spanish and everything, but sometimes I just really miss my mother tongue.  And living the life 24-7 in Spanish is kind of taking it's toll on my English skills.  For example, in my email to my family this week, I complained about this problem by saying the following, quote "Although I'm my English is getting bad.close quote.  (Lol conference jokes hahahahhaha I'm really hilarious).  Sadly, it wasn't intentional.  Things are getting progressively worse.  Help needed.

Also not gonna lie, I kinda missed Twitter a little bit when I saw the #LDSconf at the bottom of the screen during conference.  Since I couldn't tweet during conference this year, I thought I'd share with you all right now some of the wonderful things that were said (the following is all brought to you in the spirit of @emmalynn22):

- "Be strong.  Live the gospel." Jeffrey R. Holland
- "In the gospel of Jesus Christ, there is no room for bullying." Neil L. Anderson
- "We can't force righteousness.  Righteousness must be choosen." Henry B. Eyring
- "Faith is the antedote for fear." Russell M. Nelson
-  "Let your faith show!" Russell M. Nelson
-  "Wrong is never right." Russell M. Nelson
-  "Courage, not compromise, brings the smile of God's approval." Thomas S. Monson
-  "Share the gospel in a way that makes others want to live it!" Richard G. Scott
-  "Choose to be grateful no matter what!" Dieter F. Uchtdorf
-  "Don't wait to be grateful until after your problems are solved."  Dieter F. Uchtdorf
-  "Endings are not our destiny." Dieter F. Uchtdorf
-  "I know the Lord." Boyd K. Packer
-  "The truth will always be opposed." Lawrence E. Corbridge

How wonderfully true and beautiful is the gospel of Jesus Christ.

And nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww onto THIS WEEK IN HONDURAS:

- Elder Passey (who has been out on his mission for over a year) asked me the following this week: "Hermana Holdaway....I just have a question for you.  What exactly is a selfie?"  Oh us poor missionaries.  We're so culturally guarded sometimes it's pathetic.  I don't even know what I'm going to do when I get off my mission.  I'm gonna be so socially lost.  But I'm gonna be a spiritual giant so it's all worth it.  ;)
- We found an amazing new investigator this week!  Her name is Leah.  She lived in the US for 10 years, so she knows English!  We taught her the Restoration this week, and I felt the Spirit so strongly.  The whole time we were teaching her I couldn't stop feeling that we'd been led to her.  She's so prepared to listen to the gospel.  It's amazing!  She wants us to teach her in English.  Hermana Muñoz and I are going to have to practice because I can't teach the gospel in English to save my life.  But we're going to do it!  
- I made pancakes this week.  Pancakes taste like home.
- I'm almost done with the Book of Mosiah in my reading of The Book of Mormon in Spanish!  I love the scriptures in Spanish.  They're beautiful.
- All of the mountains here are spontaneously burning because it's so hot here.  Oh, Honduras.
- We haven't had running water in our apartment all week.  Living the Honduras life.

I love you all!  Thank you so much for the support and love that you've given me.  You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Con amor,

Hermana Holdaway

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...