| Sister Emma Lynn Holdaway | Honduras San Pedro Sula East Mission | October 2013-May 2015 |

Friday, July 25, 2014

Week #29: It's been one week since you've looked at me

Hey, sinners.

I think it's funny how as humans, we think that we're powerful, that we're capable, that we can do everything by ourselves.  I know sometimes I think that way.  Because sometimes life is easy.  Sometimes everything goes our way.  Sometimes we're lucky.  And when we're lucky, when everything goes our way, and when life is easy, we think that we know best.  But the moment always arrives when we have to learn to be humble,when we have to learn that maybe we're not always right.  That's just the way life is.  And that's the way the mission is too.  Cause if life's a roller coaster, the mission is the fastest roller coaster in the world, with twice the number of ups,downs, hills, drops, and loops.  But it's all good.  Cause I love roller coasters.  And the faster and wilder, the better.

Hermana Calpa and I had a really good week!  Monday was P-Day, so we went to lunch at Wendy's because Frostys >>>>>>>>>.

Tuesday was zone meeting, where all the missionaries in our zone (La Ceiba) meet together to receive training and practice teaching and stuff like that.  Our zone is full of elders.  Like boys, boys, boys.  In the 30 or so missionaries in our zone, there are only 4 hermanas.  But I mean, it's okay.

Wednesday everyone was like, "Give me your passport!"  And I'm just like, "Give me ice cream and then we'll talk." 

Thursday we had a special conference with President Klein.  It was a conference just for the hermanas.  We talked about exercise, eating healthy, dressing modestly, and stuff like that.  But I love President Klein.  He's the best.  I've never met anyone as happy, outgoing, and positive as him.  His smile literally lights up the whole room.  I couldn't ask for a better mission president.

Thursday night my dreams of one day becoming a loud, confident black woman were shattered.  Sometimes we as missionaries do crazy things in order to gain the trust and confidence of our investigators.  For example, sometimes we say, "YEAH LET'S DO IT" when one of our investigators offers to braid our hair.  And I don't mean like normal braids.  I mean like hard core black girl cornrow braids.  So that happened...  Black girls can rock it and stuff, but I can't.  Even though I'm from Detroit.  Smh.  I ended up looking like an alien or something.  And it hurt.  Like I thought kidney stones were painful and stuff, but then I got my hair practically pulled out.  My head felt like it was on fire.  I took those thangs straight out Friday morning.  Because ain't nobody got time for that, nuuuuuuuuuuuuhuhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Friday was theeeeeeeeeee best.  Hermana Calpa and I were on our way to visit one of our less active members when we felt like we should contact this one house.  So we yelled, "Buenaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssss!" because that's what people do here, and this lady was like, "Come on in!"  So we were like, "Si hombreeeeee, someone's gonna listen to us!  Finally!"  And we went in and started talking with this woman named Lina. We talked about the importance of this life and how we have to use our time here to prepare for the eternities.  We gave her a pamphlet of The Plan of Salvation to read for our next lesson, and she was like, "This is exactly what I need!  The Plan of Salvation!  Que bello!"  And then she told us that she had been praying that day for spiritual guidance from God.  "And then you two came to my house," she said.  "I know that this is the truth."  What a miracle.

Saturday morning I was reading in the Old Testament during my personal study.  One of my goals is to finish the Old Testament in the next couple of months, so I'm trying to read at least ten pages every day.  Sometimes the Old Testament is weird and stuff, but I mean, I'm all about killing sheep and splattering blood everywhere so it's all good.  Anyway, that morning I read a verse that I really loved in Deuteronomy 31:6: "Be strong and of good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."  Like, awwwwww, super tender.  That afternoon we went to visit one of our investigators, Fernando, and I felt like I should share that scripture with him.  After I finished reading, he was like, "Hermana, I've been looking for that scripture for days now.  I read it last week, but couldn't remember where it was in the Bible.  Thank you so much for sharing it with me today."  What an amazing moment!  I learned that as missionaries, our personal study time is so important.  It's the time that we have to strengthen our testimonies, become more deeply converted, and learn to be more powerful and influential teachers of the gospel.  And when we study, the Spirit will help us "bring all things to our remembrance" (John 14:26).  As a missionary, I'm the Lord's hands here on earth.  And it's amazing to see Him work through me in order to bless the lives of the people here in Honduras.  I love being a missionary!   

Sunday it rained oceans.  Literally.  (See attached photos)

And remember how I was like, "Wahhhhhhhh, I don't have any clothes" and then Hermana Calpa did some hardcore thrift store shopping and now I have like twenty skirts.  Oops.

But I love you all!  Keep pressing on and choose the right.  

Con amor,

La Gringa


Pictures:



 Reunited with Hermana Urresta at la conferencia por las hermanas!

 President Klein.  The best.

 My little best friend and forever my favorite companion

 The worst decision we've ever made

I told you it rained oceans.  Literally the whole street was flooded.  Parties!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...