| Sister Emma Lynn Holdaway | Honduras San Pedro Sula East Mission | October 2013-May 2015 |

Friday, July 25, 2014

Week #16--T-Minus 5 days until my first baptism!!

T-Minus 5 days until my first baptism.  

SO I PUT MY HANDS UP THEY'RE PLAYING MY SONG (I am a Child of God) THE BUTTERFLIES FLY AWAY.  NODDING MY HEAD LIKE YEAH.  MOVING MY HIPS LIKE YEAH.  SO I PUT MY HANDS UP THEY'RE PLAYING MY SONG I KNOW I'M GONNA BE OKAY.  YEAHHHHAHHHHHHAHEAHHHHHHHHH IT'S A PARTY IN..............Honduras.

I might be just a little bit excited.

This week is my 16th week in Honduras and my 22nd week overall.  Holy fast.  And in 34 days, I'll have exactly a year left on my mission.  WHAT. THE. HECK.

Haaaaaaaaaaa, lot's of stuff happened this week.  Some really good stuff, and some not so good stuff.  So I thought I'd do a day-by-day summary for you all.  So let's get down to business.

Tuesday:

We taught 7 lessons on Tuesday!  And when we were walking home there was a group of people sitting outside on a bench talking and stuff.  We walked by and they were like, "Hermanas!  Vengan!"  So we went over and one of the guys was like, "Yo quiero bautizarme en su iglesia.  Cuando pueden darme la primera lección?"  And I was like, "HOLY CRAP THIS IS REAL THIS IS HAPPENING LOOK AT THIS MIRACLE."  But then he was like, "Bromas, soy un miembro de la iglesia.  Solo estoy visitando mi familia aquí en Olanchito."  And I was like, -_______-  Got my hopes all up for nothing.

Also one of my investigators was like, "Hey you should marry my brother.  I'm gonna go grab him really quickly and introduce him to you."  And I'm like, "Hey but no thanks."

Wednesday:

Wednesday was Father's Day here in Honduras!  So happy late Father's Day, dad!  :)  Some of the members who live in our area invited Hermana Muñoz and I to a little party to celebrate.  We headed over there around 6, and ended up just sitting around doing nothing waiting for the food to cook.  So we decided to go visit one of our investigators, Nancy, while the food cooked.

Nancy was a great investigator.  She'd come to church with us a couple weeks prior, had lots of good questions, and was a very kind, loving person.  Hermana Muñoz and I loved to visit her.  But we hadn't been able to teach her for a while because she started working and didn't get back home until 8 at night.  Anyway, we went over to her house, and started chatting for a little bit.  We'd planned on teaching her the Restoration, but because it was late and she was tired, we decided to share a quick scripture instead.  We started with a hymn and a prayer and I opened up my Book of Mormon to look for a scripture.  While I was flipping through the pages, Nancy out of the blue was like, "No.  Don't use this book.  I hate this book.  Use the Bible."  And I was like, "K, don't be a brat," and we started to explain The Book of Mormon.  But she was all rude and blunt and hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mejor no.  I was getting upset that she wasn't listening to us and that she wouldn't let us explain anything, so I just kinda sat there silently listening to her being a hugeeeeeeeeee bruja.  And then she was like, "Hermana Holdaway, why aren't you saying anything?  Why are you just sitting there?  Oh right, it's cause you don't speak Spanish.  You don't understand anything.  But you've been in Honduras for forever, you should know Spanish by now."

EXCUSSSSSEEEEEEEEE ME, NANCY.  I SPEAK THREE LANGUAGES, SON: ENGLISH, SPANISH, AND THE LANGUAGE OF THE SPIRIT.  YOU NEED TO CALM DOWN AND SHUT UP BECAUSE I COULD INSULT YOU SO HARD IN ANY LANGUAGE I WANT.  

After that Hermana Muñoz was like, "I don't like your attitude.  We're gonna leave."  So I gave the closing prayer, and then Nancy was like, "You didn't even pray for anything.  That prayer meant nothing.  Now you're going to go walking in the street talking badly about me, and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."  And we were like, "No, Nancy.  We're not going to talk badly about you."  And then we left her house and I was like, "Hey, Hermana Muñoz.  Wanna talk trash about Nancy?"  And she was like, "SI, HOMBRE."  So we talked trash about Nancy cause HUH.  And then I cried cause Nancy was really mean.  Wah.

Thursday:

One of the members of our ward cooks lunch for us everyday.  Whenever we go over to her house, she always has the local news on TV.  And so we were eating, and I heard "Michigan" and I started freaking out.  Michigan State sponsored some agricultural project here in Honduras!  Really close to Olanchito!  They're helping Honduras grow more beans.  Cause that's what Honduras needs.  More beans.  But I was so proud of my Michiganders.  WHOOOHOOOO MICHIGAN STATE.  SI, HOMBRE.

Friday:

Friday we went to teach Alex.  Alex is our investigator who is going to be baptized this upcoming Saturday.  He's 11 years old, and he's one of the sweetest boys I've ever met.  He's so smart too!  He always remembers everything that we teach him, he's reading The Book of Mormon, and loves to come to church.  His mom is a member of the church, but she's been inactive for most of her life.  Anyway, during our lesson on Friday we asked Alex if he had any questions for us.  And he was like, "Yeah, Hermanas.  About my baptism....my mom said that she doesn't want me to get baptized.  She said that I'm playing with God and that I'm acting like it's all a big game."  Oh my gosh, I can't even describe the feeling of disappointment that I had in that moment.  It was like a knife to my heart.  Worse than when Dobby died.  For real though.  And then I said, "Alex, why do you want to be baptized?"  And he said, "Because I know that it's true.  I know that this is the true church."  Annnnnnnddddddddddd Hermana Holdaway starts crying.  The usual.  And I said, "Don't worry, Alex.  You're going to get baptized.  We're going to talk to your mom."  

And then his parents came out and we talked to them and we told them that Alex was ready and prepared.  And they agreed!  And he's for sure getting baptized Saturday!  :)  I'm so happy.  And then we had a noche de hogar with Alex and his family and another family from the ward.  We watched the video of the Restoration.  And the next Sunday, both Alex and his mom came to church!  

The Church is so true.

Saturday:

Hermana Muñoz and I found a pulperia that sells Snickers bars.  So brb life is amazing.

Sunday:  

Hottest day of my life HOLY CRAP.  Summer needs to calm down, like WE GET IT OKAY.  It was so hot and dry that basically the whole side of this one mountain was on fire.  I pointed the fire out to Hermana Muñoz and I guess she didn't understand cause ten minutes later she was like, "HERMANA.  FUEGO EN LA MONTAÑA."  Well, you don't say, Hermana.  I pointed this out a millenium ago, but cheque.

I also gave a talk in sacrament meeting on Sunday.  SI, HOMBRE.  10 minutes of español.  I'm super masiso, nbd.

Monday (aka today):  

I tried making rice krispie treats today but Honduras marshmallows are weird and they don't have normal rice krispies here so I had to buy chocolate rice krispies but then they weren't even normal chocolate rice krispies and they just looked like rat poop so everything sucked.  My life is really hard like how do I even handle it, I don't know.



Remember how people are always like, "Hermana Holdaway, you're gonna come back to Honduras and live here and get married here and everything after your mission right?!"  And I'm like, "Let's turn to the scriptures.  My answer can be found in Alma 11:29."  

Go look up Alma 11:29.  HAHAHHAHAHAHAA, RIGHT?!  I'm really funny.  So if anyone ever proposes to you and you don't wanna marry them just give them this scripture reference.  You're welcome.

Also you probably all know that I like to sing and stuff.  And so I sing a lot when we're in the house or walking in the streets cause like, whatever.  And Hermana Muñoz is like, "CALLESE, HERMANA HOLDAWAY."  And I don't appreciate her sass.  She's also like, "You're really hormonal and sensitive and you cry a lot so I always have to be really patient and calm.  Cause whoooooooooooooooooooooooo when you're sad, you're sad."  And like...don't hate me cause I'm beautiful.

Be happy.  Nicholas Cage exists.

Love always,

Hermana Holdaway

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...